• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Gran Fondo Challenge

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

This month Strava has a Gran Fondo challenge to tackle 130 kilometers in a single ride. I have accepted the challenge and this month it has to be done (oh-oh).

Anybody else participating? Do you make special preparations?

Morten Wernersen and Berkyx like this.
  2. Morten Wernersen

Morten Wernersen Member

I might if my distance is already up to 55km per ride after 5 days of cycling :)
    maybe in the end of the month I'll go for it!

3. Wayne Morgan

Wayne Morgan Member

I may try it next month, maybe the month after. :)

4. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

The most important is to have enough to drink and eat thats all the preperation required :D

5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

And a spare ass will come in handy as well :)

Going for it tomorrow!

6. Wayne Morgan

Wayne Morgan Member

:eek: Good luck Bram :)

Bram likes this.
  7. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Go for it Bram !
    Fuel and water are your friends on a long ride. Don't ever let yourself get hungry or thirsty, nibble bits of energy bar and sip a little water often.
    If you have the money going spare treat yourself to some really nice bib shorts with a high quality pad*, your ass with thank you!

*I'm a total Assos shorts tart, they really are brilliant but cost silly money.

Bram likes this.
  8. Frederic Schornstein

That is quite funny. I had two more expensive tights for the winter one being from Castelli. Then I thought about some shorts for the summer and ended up trying some 35€ ones from wiggles own brand and didnt expect anything and they ended up fitting me extremely well. They do have a quite high quality chamy that is also used by well known brands. Before that I struggled with rides longer 80km. With these no issues after 130km. But fit is really important. My first pair of tights was 120€, but didnt know what I was doing and bought one size too large and it is just crap.

Bram likes this.
  9. Frederic Schornstein

Seems like you did it today :cool:

Bram likes this.
  10. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Yeah. @Rob selected an awesome route which we drove today. Perfect weather, lots of sun. Great day on the bike: gran fondo challenge completed.

11. Tim Engberink

Tim Engberink Member

Hell no I'm able to drive 130 km's. Just returned from a nice cycling drive, I believe I managed to hit the 50 km's.:)

12. Wayne Morgan

Wayne Morgan Member

@Bram Congrats. Well done on an epic ride.

Is it the first time you rode that distance? If not, what was your previous longest distance?

Will try and do this challenge next month.

13. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I did a few of such rides as a teen (who needed practice back then? :p). As a recently renewed cyclist this was my longest distance with 83K being the previously longest ride.

Legs and stamina were never the issue but my behind was. New saddle solved that issue I hope.

14. Wayne Morgan

Wayne Morgan Member

Ah yes that is the problem I will have too. I have bibs and shorts but after an hour or so in the saddle it becomes a bit uncomfortable.

I rode for 2 hours on Saturday, near the end I just couldn't wait to get off. It probably would have happened sooner but I was off the saddle for about 20 minutes half way through fixing a puncture.

15. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I really love these long distance challenges. Jealous seeing people do 140 miles / 225 km. Epic.

16. Bram

Bram Senior Member

The month of August is almost over and I haven't done my long ride yet so that has to happen in the next three days. By typing this I can already feel that my ass will not like it :)

Going to ride to our Capital Amsterdam and cross the city center and then head towards the North Sea shore to drink coffee at the beach near Circuit Zandvoort before heading back home.

17. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Made it, 138 kilometers on a return trip to the beach. Monthly gran fondo goal reached :)

Gavin, Burke Wells and PicoBp like this.
  18. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Going for a 160km/100mi century ride tomorrow. Fingers crossed and i've got a spare ass in the freezer.

Burke Wells and PicoBp like this.
  19. Bram

Bram Senior Member

We didn't manage to do a full century ride as we started a bit too late and the sunset more or less was threatening to catch us. Stuck at 120km yesterday but an epic ride again with a beautiful route.

Jim Layee likes this.