• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Experiences with building your own bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Aug 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

The idea of building my own bike is starting to grow on me. Buy a frame, wheels, groupset etc and assemble it all myself.

Anybody experiences building your own bike? Any do's or don'ts?

2. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

All my bikes, not the trikes, were built up from a frame or frameset. It's a very rewarding path that allows , or condemns , you to spec every single part to build a bike of your dreams or one that's 100% fit for purpose.

Some advice based on experience
    1. The frame is the heart and soul of a bike so spend most effort on choosing the one you want and why you want it.
    2. Closely followed by the wheels on a road bike. Choose wisely and not what your fave rider uses as he's paid to ride whatever he's given
    3. Know you skills level and invest in good tools, they will pay for themselves in the long term.
    4. It will cost more than an off the peg purchase, often a lot more because of budget creep. I only set a budget for the next part(s) on the list and not worry about the total cost as its only money right ;)
    5. A headset press is a very simple tool ideal for ruining you brand new frame. Get a professional to fit headsets.
    6. Don't be afraid to seek advice before getting the hammer out and not after!

Lastly do it! It's brilliant fun.

arthur666 and Bram like this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

4. James

James Active Member

I'd say it can be cheaper than an off the shelf bike as you can cheap out on some components. For example, do you really need Dura-Ace, Red, or Record brakes? Or front derailleur? I'll go midrange or lower on those two (realistically in my neck of the woods with 1 foot elevation gain in 1 mile, the ONLY time I need to shift to a smaller ring is during the winter when battling 20-30 mph headwinds on the way home) I put my money in the rear derailleur and shifters, though even there I would get the 2nd from the top shifters. I've put together several bikes, reinvigorated bikes with failing components by purchasing new ones, moving group sets from one bike to another, ... It's pretty darn simple stuff. I'll admit I've never had to use a headset press (always had the frame/fork combo) nor press a bottom bracket in (my BB30s are still going strong and my previous frames were old school English or Italian threaded bottom brackets).

Bram likes this.
  5. Günthar

Günthar Active Member

I do it everyday ;)

It's costly, esp the wheels, but the results can not be questioned :)