• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Do you ride 12 months a year?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

In the Netherlands the cycling season mostly runs from March to the end of October I believe, however I am planning to do rides 12 months a year.

Of course during the winter months it will not always be on the road bike but that's the time of the year the MTB comes in handy :)

How many months per year are you riding?

2. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

I ride all year round and have done for years. Not having a car helps.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Velo Wringer likes this.
  3. jimortality

jimortality Well-Known Member

Same here, all year round whatever the weather

Gavin likes this.
  4. James

James Active Member

All year. The coldest it gets is perhaps freezing, but even then only for a few hours once or twice a year.
    [​IMG]

Gavin likes this.
  5. ArkHiver

ArkHiver Member

about 11 months for me :)
    There are a few weeks during december and january when temperatures are lower than -5C or there's too much snow for my liking. Riding through the slush in the city is no fun.

Gavin likes this.
  6. lothario

lothario New Member

I ride all year minus a few days in jan - feb due to ice.

Bram likes this.
  7. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Any weather, any time when I was commuting.

Nowadays, road riding down to about 4C (40F), but offroad is not bad even when well below freezing. The one thing I do not like, however, is mud. So no mtn biking for me when its wet. It also tears up the trails. :(

Gavin likes this.
  8. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Well-Known Member

Yes.
    Period.

Bram likes this.
  9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am going for a year round riding experience as well from now on. Might be a bit chilly during the winter but i'll have to buy some proper clothing to protect myself ;)

Haven't seen a period of snow here in the last five years so i'll bet you this year we'll be having severe snowfall instead :D

Gavin likes this.
  10. Gavin

Gavin Member

All year round for me. I did it last year. Commuting helps but with a 12 week winter base training programme in place quite a bit is done on a turbo. I've invested in good cateye 400 lights (front & rear)for certain sessions out on quite country roads. It made the winter months tic by nicely.

11. Bram

Bram Senior Member

You're using those lights during daytime Gav?

12. Gavin

Gavin Member

No Bram evening time between 7-9pm October - January. There fantastic in the dark.

13. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

I used to ride all year round but not anymore. These days i find my body reacts much better to having a few weeks off to completely recover. It's also nice to have a mental break too - not to mention avoiding the cold and miserable weather during the off season here in the UK. My body generally tells me when it's time to quit for the year - and also when it's ready to get started again. Typically i'll taper my riding down from early October and stop completely by the end of Oct. I'll resume early Feb. Sometimes a little later.

Each year i'm always itching to get back on the bike and I really enjoy re-training my body after the layoff. Once you get past the first couple of weeks which are always a bit grim, I love that feeling that you are getting stronger almost every time you get on the bike. The fact i lose condition during the off season is a positive for me. The ramp up is much more motivating and exciting than the minimal gains for exponentially more effort later in the season.

The single biggest thing i'm learning as i get older is to listen to my body - and i think it's making me a more intelligent rider as a result. I'm not as fast as i used to be - but i'm learning more how to get the best from what i've got left. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    arthur666 and Velo Wringer like this.
  14. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Well-Known Member

That rings a bell. I am learning that, now I have started more serious cycling. Also cycling is a most gentle sport (if you want...). You can feel when you need to take it easy or can put on more steam. And it tells you to correct your position if something hurts.

Maybe swimming is even more gentle, but then you get to see places, not the same pool everyday o_O

I like cycling so much that I will go around the year. Bought some rain gear. Will see how it goes, listening carefully.

dazzyb2k3 likes this.