• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Difference between Shimano Dura-Ace and Ultegra

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Apart from the weight difference between the two groupsets what else differs that justifies the major gap in price?

My current bike is equipped with Ultegra (and works great as far as I know) and my carbon dreambike has Dura-Ace mounted.

2. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Dura-Ace has traditionally been there to showcase Shimano's latest tech and if not much has changed then it showcases their styling departments skills. Will it make you faster? Is it going to last longer ? Do you still want it ? The answers are of course; No, No, and Funk yeah !

But on a dream bike its always going to be Campagnolo *

* Your opinions may vary but they will be laughed at behind your back

Bram likes this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Thanks so much @Jim Layee. My dreambike with the Ultegra groupset and normal rims is almost 3K cheaper than the highend model. For that amount of money you get a different saddle (not interested), different rims and tyres (not interested as I have my own) and a much much cheaper groupset (Ultegra, which performs great on my current bike).

My temporary Canyon Ultimate that I have used for a couple of weeks before returning it came with Campagnolo and I really didn't like it one bit :)

4. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

What was it about the Campagnolo that meant you didn't click ?

5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

The shifter and brakes felt very fragile and wasn't as precise as I expected it to be. My current Ultegra set feels a lot more robust.

6. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Shimano does feel stiffer and crisper when new but a well set up campag system is a joy to use. Shimano are the sensible choice but in a car context what do you dream of ? A Toyota or a Ferrari ?

As for fragile, the Record brifters on my Van Nicholas are 2000 model year and are still shifting and braking superbly. They've been on 3 frame builds so far.

7. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

I would rather take the cheaper bike and probably get a powermeter. On my bikes I have a full XT on my trekking bike and 105 on the road bike and XT (Ultegra) is supposedly one tier above 105 and there is not really a diffrence between both. I guess there will be quite a diffrence between Ultegra and Ultegra di2 with the electronic shifting.
    There is an in depth video about the component diffrence Ultegra/Dura Ace on youtube (10min)

The biggest difference is the weight (probably 300g, so half a water bottle) and the "bling" factor. The most annoying stuff is that components will wear just as fast or faster and a Dura Ace cassette is flipping expensive 160€ compared to 55€ (Ultegra) or 35€ (105) and the weight saving is around 50g coupled with some reliability issues of the first batches. You can really only justify it by: "I freaking want that bling on my bike"
    All manufacturers use the top end group sets to show what is possible and have the pros ride it, so people want it, but it doesn't really make a diffrence. In the women pro ranks there are a few teams even running Ultegra as they are not sponsored and have to buy it. Even Team Sky used Ultegra Di2 components in the Grio, because you can't (shouldn't) fit a 11-32 with a Dura Ace rear mech.

Bram likes this.
  8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Thanks a lot @Frederic Schornstein :)

I really shouldn't buy a new bike now as I promised myself to first reach a few big goals but it's so freaking tempting now :D

Not going to do it, not going to do it, not going to do it!

Yet!

9. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

Have you tried your dream bike already?