• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

CX / Gravel Cyclocross biking

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Any of you guys on a cyclocross bike? Do you use it for dirt biking or do you really go off road with it?

2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

Yep, I am :)

Took a ride today and got it nice and muddy. The tires are stock, but surprisingly grippy. Even a fast, downhill, leaves covered single track didnt throw them off. I will change them to something more suited to hardpack when the ground gets dry.
    For Christmas I wish me a new carbon wheelset and a Garmin 1000. But to hell with the combined £1300 price...

20161217_141454.jpg

Evidence of a hard ride in wet conditions - its all been cleaned now :)
    20161217_141506.jpg

Flaviu and Bram like this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh nice one @Jan Larsen.

Is that the Giant TCX? Looks identical to my road bike but with more clearance :heart_eyes: and beautiful disc brakes.

4. Jan Larsen

It sure is :). Chose it because its a Giant (cant go wrong with that), it has a 1x groupset, hyd disc brakes, internal cables, clearance for bigger tires and my local bike shop (the biggest in Denmark and one of the biggest in Scandinavia) supports it. I'm not being gentle with it but also not abusing it and so far its been an enjoyable, trouble free experience. 2 months and 200km old now, time for its first service, free of charge.

Flaviu and Bram like this.
  5. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

Is that a speed sensor on the rear wheel? Odd to have two sensors both sides?

Cracking looking bike though. Me and my mate could probably do with a cyclo-cross bike instead of our two 29ers. But every now and then we throw them into the filth.

6. Jan Larsen

Heh no, its just the lock (in the open position) :). Required item from the insurance company if I am to get any money from them in case it gets nicked.

7. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

@Jan Larsen Great bike have you there. Wish you many long and beautiful rides.

Jan Larsen likes this.
  8. Jan Larsen

Some say cyclocross = mud, cold and rain. Personally I hate all those 3 things. So when the weather turned wierd and dished up with 20 degrees celcius and sun (in March!) I had to go out for a ride. Great ride, the first for me in great weather. Took some pictures on the way which you can see below :)

Lovely bike and lovely path about to be explored :)
    001.jpg

Now, which way to go? Left? Right?
    002.jpg

Right. Especially with this scenery, perfect for cross riding :)
    003.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

10. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

+1

Some beautiful trails you have there Jan. Great pics. Thanks for sharing :)

11. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Very nice ride! You've inspired me to take my cross bike out for a journey. Maybe next week.

(I need of get one of those top-tube bags Jersey pockets get crowded when I'm provisioning for a long ride.)

12. Jan Larsen

You're welcome dazzy :)

The top tube bag is great I'll admit, it just fits everything. Just one snag - my legs hit it when out of the saddle which is slightly annoying, but not a dealbreaker.

13. John.Dylan.Spooner

John.Dylan.Spooner Active Member

460694_3311668919619_1539579008_o.jpg CIMG1271.JPG 412580_3144538501463_956845386_o.jpg 414903_3059799863050_1727049124_o.jpg 883654_10200650596976411_1391650864_o.jpg IMG_3485.JPG This is my much changed 2011 Focus Mares Cross bike wheels have been replaced , several tires types have been used before settling with these one's
    Suspension post is a new update to replace a older one that did not work to well , gives a little better back protection for the rougher mixed city roads & paths.
    Also replaced the V-brakes with Cantilevers I find them much better with less dragging or clogging than the mini v-brake's.
    also using single sided SPD pedals with flat sided option for normal shoes.

the bike is holding up well with no major failures for what is the entry leval cross bike from Focus.
    I would like to replace the Group set it works fine but it is starting to look a little worn in places , not sure if to move to 105 for the gears & stick with 10 speed X 2 or dump the FSA Cranks for a Triple & more Mountain bike gearing 10 X 3 with Deore .

Still had lot of fun with this bike & she is still going strong .
    I like the bag you are using I need something to replace using a back pack I will have to take a look at these.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Matej Lakota and Jan Larsen like this.
  14. Jan Larsen

Lovely bike you have there :)

That suspension seat post; do you like it? I've seen some of them on youtube, but I've always wondered about the spring but no-damper setup - dont you bounce up and down all the time?

Wont be long now until I venture into my first clipless pedals and MTB shoes. Never used it before and it'll probably be hilarious to everyone around me to see me fail clipping out lol. But I know it'll benefit my riding. Gonna get the local bikeshop to set it all up correctly. Their prices aint cheap, but its usually quality workmanship.

Have you thought about a 1x setup? Its works perfectly for me and its super reliable with the clutch; no chain slip or the chain falling off. SRAM has done a nice job with their Rival 1x11 groupset.

Took a ride this afternoon in sunny weather riding my usual route that includes as much trail as possible and gained another experience - if its below 20 degrees celcius, I require armwarmers. But, I dont have any.
    Also, I've ditched the specific-for-bikes chain lube as that stuff attracts dirt like flies on a s h i t. Now I clean the chain and spray it was HHS 5000 from Würth. Half the price and 4 times the amount of the bike lube and dosent attract dirt nearly as much. And much easier to clean off.

15. John.Dylan.Spooner

Only had eight rides with the new seat post. but no butt ache or back ache after a 4 month brake, it really takes the shock out of big impacts like surface changes . paved path on to cobbles or nasty bumps of the expansion joints found on the many bridges in Hamburg.
    the damping seems to work really well . I had a another none dampened post on for the last two year & was getting way to much bounce even with adjustments.
    Even loaded up work a backpack for work I do not notice to much movement other than big hits.
    I saw a single 1 X 11 been sold in a bike mag last year , I can see the advantages for such a system with less to clog up & less to go wrong.
    I could get away with that for sure in Hamburg its almost flat I ride most of the time in one or two gears.
    I may look into that one thanks for reminding me about 1 X 11 . bit cheaper to . just need to work out a good all round gear set up I would imagine 48 up front & rear 13 to 27 or maybe less need to have something to climb without struggling to much so maybe in that ball park.

16. Jan Larsen

Mine is a 11-36 with a 42 up front. I can go up the hilliest of climbs and it never spins out. Granded, I'm not the fastest rider out there, but for cross its perfect.

17. John.Dylan.Spooner

This 1x11 looks very intresting just taken a look at SRAM Rival 1 Groupset 1x11 Compact - GXP , still have few more important things to do yet before I can think of spending money on complete drive train & Cassette change . still thanks for the info.

18. Jan Larsen

The real winner of this groupset is the clutch. It holds the chain taught no matter how bumpy it gets, virtually eliminating chain fall off.

19. John.Dylan.Spooner

20. John.Dylan.Spooner

Sounds amazing just seen all the promo video's , sound crazy to go back to single front ring , but in this age of 11 speed rear cassettes you can under why it works now , than back in the old days of 5 Speed rear & one single ring up front.

Weight saving alone make this a better deal & no more of that rattling & grinding with the front derailer.
    Will be for sure look into one of these.