• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Tech Cycling navigation buying advice needed... (Garmin Edge Touring)

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Rokas Charlapavičius, Aug 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rokas Charlapavičius

Rokas Charlapavičius New Member

Hello, I'm thinking of buying a Garmin Edge Touring, primarily for navigation and exploring (which is the most important thing for me). My questions would be: are anyone of you using it and what's your experience with it? Does it do what it's supposed to do well? Or maybe someone will pop up with a better suggestion?

Waiting for your thoughts and advice... Thank you.

Bram likes this.
  2. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Hey Rokas,

I was having the same question last year and I eventually went for the 520 Edge version. Simple device that does the job perfectly.

Is the touring able to recalculates routes on the fly?

Rokas Charlapavičius likes this.
  3. Rokas Charlapavičius

I'm doing my homework. As I understand Edge Touring can and Edge 520 can't, can it? (apparently, as shown in the spec tables under ''round-trip routing'' section on their website). Is that the choice I would have to make - between making routes manually or mostly automatically? Would there be any advantage in automatic? Or would auto-planning just send me into a ditch and it's better to do manual planning?

4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

The 520 can't recalculate GPS routes. You just define them up front, upload it to the device and it will guide you around perfectly to the millimeter :).

I make my routes via strava and i must say I really enjoy doing this. Looking for that awesome backroad nobody has been driving before instead of going over the paved roads that everybody has been doing.

I fear that with automatic created routes you only get to ride the most used roads, which in my experience are the most boring routes. At least here in the NL. There is so much more to discover.

Rokas Charlapavičius likes this.
  5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

6. Rokas Charlapavičius

@Bram I reckon you're right about the routing and planning. Because for me the main objective is to not get completely lost and without having a clue on how to get back - hence the need for navigation. Plus planning on your own is indeed fun - I've done it a few times already. And so I'm leaning towards that Edge 520.