• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Other Creaking Skewers

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by dazzyb2k3, Mar 23, 2017.

1. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Just thought i'd bring this up as it's something i've encountered more and more over the last few years. To the point where it's now my first check when my bike starts to sound like a rusty barn door.

I'm sure we've all been there - Starts with an annoying creak under load. Almost impossible to determine where it's coming from. Gradually gets worse until the bike sounds like an old rocking chair. Spend hours checking frame, seat, seatpost, cranks, pedals, cleats, bottom bracket, chain, headset, brake pivots, and anything else i can fit an allen key into. Everything feels like butter.

Next ride, everything starts off fine, after a few miles the creaking starts again!
    Swap to spare set of wheels as process of elimination - noise completely stops. Take original wheels, service freehub, check spokes, sprocket, change bearings 'just in case'. Still creaking - grrrrrrrrr!

On the basis there's nothing else left, change and or lube skewer. Noise completely gone - WTF!!

Now i'm not sure what's happened over the last few years as i never remember this being an issue up until 3 or 4 years ago. Im guessing it's the trend towards ligther and more exotic parts (or maybe it's just me!) but every season i get a bout of the creaks and it's almost always the skewers. Different bikes, different sets of skewers but it always seems to happen at some point.

So do yourself a favour. Next time you get a creakfest, clean and grease the mechanism of your skewers and dropouts. It may well save you a massive headache and a good deal of money!

(unless of course you're running through axles or bolt on - in which case you definately have another problem lol)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    arthur666 likes this.
  2. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Definitely fought this one before. My last full-suspension mtn bike, I put some Ti skewers on and it sounded like my frame was cracked. Luckily the skewers were free, so I passed them on to the next sucker and put the cheap ones back on.
    Thanks, I'll check mine soon. I think that's why my mtn bike is creaking now. But not bad enough to do anything about it until my next wheels-off maintenance. And it's only when I'm really cranking hard in my biggest cog (lowest gear).

EDIT: I think it's these stylish new skewers that have gotten popular for OEM in the last 10 years. The old classic-style Campagnolo/Shimano skewers don't seem to have this problem.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017