• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Tech Company says no to carbon. Food for thought.

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

"Last year here at Pole Bicycles, we announced that we would, like the rest of the mountain biking industry, go carbon. So, after 2 hard years of developing our frame sets with two researches and one master’s degree in engineering, we were 90% ready and all that was left was to find a suitable factory in China where the production take place.. It turned out to be a heavy hit and shock to us all here when we flew to China and discovered the inner workings of carbon frame production."

Read the entire article here

I find it a very brave decision, what are your thoughts?

Flaviu likes this.
  2. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Interesting stuff. It has certainly got me thinking about the amount of CF I fit to my bikes. All my frames are metals, as are my rims, but many of the forks, bars etc are made from CF. Part of the reason for me not owning a car are ecological in nature and cycling is in part an extension of this choice.

Flaviu likes this.
  3. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone who underestemated big scale CF production and decided to go back to well-known alu. CF production requires all kinds of different, expensive machinery. Weaves, laminating machines, owens etc. A bit like like my own job actually.

4. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

It is nice to see people who understand the risk and the cause of pollution, but I'm afraid they will pay the price and sell less bicycles (unfortunately). In my country it is a say "cu o floare nu se face primavara" - "with one flower you can't make spring". If we all put hands, major changes could be accomplished. I own a car but I use it very rare, in holidays and to visit my parents with my family. I think the cars are the worst pollution factor, starting with production and continuing with all day use. I saw peoples here, which use the car on daily basis to make 1-2 km to work or shopping and they complain after that about their belly and about the roadblock. This is incomprehensible to me. Congratulation @Jan Larsen for your decision to don't use a car. And good luck to Pole Bicycles

5. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

But...I DO use a car! :laughing:. J/K, its only for bigger trips really, so rarely. But I do like the freedom of having a car if the weather acts like women and throws hissy fits for no damn reason :cool:

Flaviu likes this.
  6. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

I'm the one without a car, now or ever. It's a real pain sometimes but hey if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

7. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I must admit I am driving my car less and less. With all the ongoing traffic jams in the Netherlands I cant totally see myself on the bike only in a few years from now.

8. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

:) Sorry for confusion @Jim Layee, @Jan Larsen :)
    Here, for me it will be very hard to don't use a car. Our public transportation is almost inexistent and ... Maybe should I stop here. I can't stop :( Just one example. I go after my father car to bring it to car service and I used public transportation. I have 1.74 metters and my legs don't fit in the space between chairs. Honestly it was almost 30 cm :poop: I was lucky to use both two seats to stay a little comfortable for almost one hour road. I know it looks like I'm a totally whiny, but for an "European country" and in 2017 I have some other expectation.

Bram and Jim Layee like this.