• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Caution. Slippery when wet!

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Ouch, I experienced the downside of cycling last Saturday when I went for a ride with @Rob. 4/5 in of our ride both tyres slipped at the same time when riding over an extremely slippery wildlife crossing with care.

Smacked down flat on my face (helmet broken, yes! it works) and more or less bruised the entire right side of my body, with exception of my elbow (weird).

My thumb and knee are preventing me to hop on the bike again and I fear it will take a lot of days. Missing it already :)
    wildrooster.jpg helm.jpg

2. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

New helmet time. Glad you're (relatively) ok.

Bram likes this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Thanks a lot @arthur666 can't wait to get back on the bike. #junkie

arthur666 likes this.
  4. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Ouch ! Did the front tyres wash out on you ?

5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Both tyres went at the same time as the grates were too slippery because of the water and whatever was on it :) The whole crash didn't make any logical sense as I was heading straight forward, but hey it happened :)

6. James

James Active Member

Feel your pain in a couple of ways:

1) About a decade me and a pal were on a group ride, one of us flatted and we stopped. After a new tube we said "We can catch them!" The roads were wet, and going around one right turn we both slid out. The rest of the 40 miles was with a bruised rib for me and something equally bad for him. Slippery sucks!

2) This past Monday I went with my wife on an easy ride to the food market. Get home and she stops unexpectedly causing me to run into her. I tip over, rip my back to shreds, two days off from work since I was walking like a primate, and the rest working from home.

So just how many colors are in those bruises?

Bram likes this.
  7. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Blue Yellow Green Red, almost all the colors of the rainbow. However the last two days and today specifically I am feeling some dramatic improvements. If this continues I should be on the bike again this week.

I need to as I am addicted now I confess ;) First I need to buy a new helmet tomorrow to replace my broken one.

8. Burke Wells

Burke Wells Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your fall, Bram. Try to put a positive spin on it: By a law of averages, it should be a long time before you fall again. :)

9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

That's what they said about having punctures as well, hahaha ;)

Feeling a bit better today, hopefully I can do a little ride this week and a proper one in the weekend. Miss it.

Dennis likes this.
  10. Flaviu

Flaviu Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are better now @Bram.
    I also get "clear" to bike form my orthopedic doctor, but with another visit to him in 30 days.
    Unfortunately here it is a little cold. And I never bike in winter :(. But always it is a first time.

11. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

Glad you're alright! If I ever get a roadie I'll keep an eye out of tricky crossings. At least the helmet did its job too. I wonder how severe the nogging knock would've been without it on?

I've fallen off my new bike loads, mostly through being clipped in, which is strange because I had then on my old bike for 5 years , so you thought I'd be used to them?

Bram likes this.
  12. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I don't even want to know. So happy with my old and new helmet :)

Flaviu and SnyperAL like this.
  13. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Sounds painful Bram, glad you're on the mend!

It's always those stupid crashes that are the worst. My crowning glory was once leaving home and not even getting to the end of our street before deciding that fiddling with my bike computer approaching a speed hump was a good idea. Was doing less than 10mph when the bike hit the hump, crossed up, and ejected me onto a kerb.

Ended up with a harline fracture in my hip, a sprained ankle, broken helmet, snapped seatpost and bars. Was off the bike for weeks.

But at least i knew my cadence was good when i crashed :p

Burke Wells and Flaviu like this.
  14. John.Dylan.Spooner

John.Dylan.Spooner Active Member

Worst type of crash you can have is one with little warning, & they are very hard impacts.
    I had one the other year on the way back from work, I was on the correct tires for the types of Cycle paths that you find in Hamburg were I live now, but I decided to cut through a small park, with a lot of over hanging tree's & it was fall.
    The surface was tarmac so no sign of what was about to happen when I took a left turn both wheels just went from under me & hit the ground like a rock. hard enough to send light fitting flying & to twist the bars & the brake levers.

I did manage to get everything straight again & then some how cycled home by which time things were starting to hurt Shoulder & hip took the full force.

Thank god I did not brake anything but I was in major pain. not much sleep that night & then off to the doctors next day.
    took two weeks to return to work & several months to really go right.

Luck that here if you have a accident while going to or from work its classed has work accident & there for all treatment is paid through a special insurance.

These types of crashes are crazy it is quite surprising the damage they result in compare to a racing crash or any so called noraml incident .
    End result for me is I do not ride in the back half of the year anymore. I am now waiting for the better weather , it is just to bigger risk in lost work time & it is not like I am racing anymore or doing major sports rides. better to stay safe for me anyhow.

I wish you a speedy return to full health & a return to your bike soon.

Flaviu, Bram and dazzyb2k3 like this.