• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Carbon, Aluminium, Steel or Titanium Frame

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Due to all the marketing hype I was like many considering carbon the best thing ever, but since I have been cycling roughly 2000km on my alu bike I must say I don't see the big benefits of carbon anymore.

My current al bike is more comfortable than my previous carbon bike due to the great fork, the flexing d-shape carbon seatpost and the frame is just: mega strong and only a few grams heavier than my old SL carbon frame.

I never have to worry that a crash will end my bike with Alu.

What are your thoughts. Carbon, Alu, Steel or Titanium?

Gavin likes this.
  2. James

James Active Member

I've got 2 carbon bikes - never had issues with either, and both are super comfortable
    I've got 3 aluminum bikes - one is an old Hooker TT frame that is soft as a noodle, and the others are pretty stiff. The old frame I used to race on was really stiff and would feel every bump in the road
    I've got 4 steel bikes - the road bikes are a plush ride, a single speed cruiser is likewise plush, but the track bike is bone jarring on the road. On the velodrome it's fine, but after a couple of hours on the road you need a massage and check that all your teeth are still there

I've crashed the carbon bikes with no issues, the aluminum race bike, and one of the steel bikes. Haven't had to worry about any of them. Comfort? All depends on how the bikes are made. Any material can ride harsh.

Gavin and Bram like this.
  3. Gavin

Gavin Member

I've have my race carbon bike it's fast, light and more responsive handling.
    Then I have my Alu commute and winter bike it's total opposite heavy, stiff and understeers around corners. Both bikes are comfortable to me.
    I like constantly going from my commute bike during the week to jumping on my race bike on the weekends. I never get tired of feeling the difference between the two. Some people get used to riding carbon all the time and don't appreciate the difference. I don't even train on my carbon bike purely for racing, exception would be if I'm doing a really long hilly sportive.

Bram likes this.
  4. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

It's all the in tubeset dimensions and frame geometry.
    Except for titanium of corse as it's god's own metal. Even though my Van Nicholas is my most 'racey' frame running on the narrowest tyres is its, by far, the most comfortable and least fatiguing of my bikes to ride longer distances. It's a veritable hovercraft =D

Warning this post may contain hyperbole