• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Buying a ride off ebay, pointers?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by SnyperAL, Jul 6, 2016.

1. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

I am in the market for a new road bike, I am currently scouring ebay, just to see whats out there, is there any pointers you guys could offer, or have you had any ebay experience?

It's not an essential that i pick up a used bike, I am just looking at what is out there, what i can afford etc.

cheers,
    AL

2. lothario

lothario New Member

Ask how old, also what mileage. I have bought a few and also sold a few bikes.

3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

@SnyperAL how did the shopping go on ebay?

4. SnyperAL

Slowly! I've been researching what would make a good novice road bike, so added a lot of auctions to my watch list, to get an idea for prices. I was paying particular interest in the Specialized Allez and Canondale brands. I then went to my local bike store, to pick their brains regarding fit, equipment and other pointers. The guy there, was advising me, as a road newb, to go for the Giant Defy series, as their geometry supports newer riders regarding comfort and featureset. Apparently while a Specialized, or Canondale would feel great at first, after an hour or so it would be uncomfortable? I dont have any experience to back this up, but they also offer a 30 day fair usage bike swap, so if the Giant is not for me, and I havnt abused it, they will swap it Free of charge.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/

My company is also part of the Ride to work scheme, which if i am reading it correctly, means you buy a bike through the company, pay for it over a year, before tax is taken off the topline of your wages, this covers bike, clothing, and safety equipment. So I am waiting to hear from them regarding specifics. It does apparently mean a saving of up to 40% Which would mean a new bike at second hand prices. plus equipment.

I have a cataye cycling computer on my MTB and would definitely want another for any road bike i buy. So in short, its going well, and I've probably researched this more than any other purchase in my life, including cars and houses. From what I've read, as a newb, a second hand ride is a perfect invesment incase its not for me. However with the cycle to work scheme (which in the other thread I've stated the reasons why this isnt applicable, but if i can swing a tax break, happy days) and the comfort I may well plump for a new ride yet.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, if anyone has any advice regarding what I've said and been told, please chip in :)
    :)

Gavin, Bram and Burke Wells like this.
  5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Lengthy replies is what we have a forum for. The more the better:)

6. Nicholas Hatcher

Nicholas Hatcher New Member

AL, late to the party here but don't associate brand with geometry. Almost all major brands offer road bikes in race or aggressive geometry as well as a more relaxed geometry such as the Defy.

For me personally, I wouldn't buy carbon from ebay, nor would I buy it used period. Carbon can crack w/o the owner never knowing until it's too late. There are tons on great aluminum bikes out there, and being new to road cycling I would suggest an aluminum bike with a "plush", "sportive", "gran fondo" style geometry. That means it probably has a longer wheel base and higher top tube. I know plenty of guys who smoke my butt who still refuse to give up their Defy. My first bike was an aluminum Defy and I sold it thinking I was too good for it after a couple of years of riding and bought a carbon race bike. I've spent hours uncomfortable and no faster on my new bike trying to convince my wife I need to sale it and get a new one :)

My suggestion is to ride as many bikes as you can and go from there. You can get a very good frame on ebay and add the components you like or even a complete bike. Please don't discard buying a new bike just to save a few hundred bucks. All the story's you've heard about buying the right fitting bike is absolutely correct. Brands/Models I would look at first are the Defy (Giant), Domane/Amonda (Trek), and the Synapse (Cannondale). There are plenty out there that are great, these are just the ones I've had experience with.

Best of luck!

SnyperAL likes this.
  7. SnyperAL

Thanks for the advice! I've recently fell in with a biking bunch we did 20 miles of all terrains last Sunday which was my first lengthy ride if the season. One of those had graciously offered to lend me his roady to see how I get on with that discipline. So I'm going to do that for a few months and see if it's something I enjoy.

Got to admit is great being back in the saddle again, blowing out those cobwebs