• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Sport Best way to convince parents to allow you to stay up?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by chessmaster02, Jul 3, 2016.

1. chessmaster02

chessmaster02 New Member

Hello,

I am an Aussie Teenager who has a passion for watching cycling (to the dismay of several of my friends) and as the Tour is on now, I of course want to watch it. But because of timezones (Ugghhh) I need to stay up until 1AM to watch the whole race essentially. But of course parents have better ideas. It is school holidays atm so I can stay up a bit later but does anybody have any ideas on how I can convince them to let me watch it a bit more.

Thanks in advance!

2. Petra

Petra Well-Known Member

[mothermodeon] Mother of a Dutch teenager here. You can't convince them, trust me. My son tries, he rarely has any luck :p. The only way he can convince me sometimes is by promising he will get up at a normal hour the next day and won't be cranky due to the lack of sleep. Cause normally that is the problem. He wants to stay up late, gets up at noon the next day and is tired and moody all day long. :rolleyes: [mothermodeoff]

You can always watch a re-run online, right? At normal hours?

3. norbs

norbs Member

You need to read this...

http://www.nonprocycling.com/2012/05/20/norbs-guide-watching-grand-tour-australia/

:)

Also, get an account at cycling torrents to help to catch up on what you miss.

Jim Layee likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael Member

Father of 2 teens, an 8 and 5 year old here... ask nicely and promise to do the lawn, laundry and dishes the next day.:p

Petra likes this.
  5. chessmaster02

chessmaster02 New Member

I will keep that in mind!
    I know I can watch a rerun, but I love to watch it live, otherwise I find it boring cos it has already happened, plus it takes hours to watch (Time I dont have during the day)

6. Ryan Ogurek

Ryan Ogurek New Member

Make a deal. You let me stay up to watch my passion, I'll do the dishes for a week; something to that effect. Usually worked for me when I was young haha. Really, everyone's parents are different, so you are the person who would best know how to persuade them. It may also help to take some time to articulate a way to express its importance to them. Typically, when parents see that you put forth effort, and demonstrate how much it means to you, they are much more likely to make exceptions.

7. chessmaster02

chessmaster02 New Member

Also I forgot to mention as all the races are at night here, this is a common problem. If there was more races I could watch live during the week I wouldnt bother really,

8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Record the races at night, avoid the spoilers and watch them during the day?

9. chessmaster02

chessmaster02 New Member

I can't, I got school