• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Best cadence for cycling

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Aug 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Hey guys, I have installed a cadence sensor/meter today on my race bike as I want to train myself riding with more rotations. My current goal is to keep the rotation above 95 rpm.

What is your cadence?

2. Gavin

Gavin Member

I try to keep my cadence around 100rpm as much as I can for commutes maybe slightly higher for races. 95 - 105rpm is a good range as it doesn't stress the muscles or knee joints too much. Practicing spinning high cadence is good. The trick is to keep the hips and upper body still while the legs work.

Bram likes this.
  3. James

James Active Member

Bram and Gavin like this.
  4. Gavin

Gavin Member

@James several previous studies have shown that the most metabolic efficient cadence is between 60 and 70rpm, but biomechanical analyses of cycling investigated that the minimisation of muscular forces (i.e. muscular torques and muscular forces) and therefore the use of higher pedal rates is a priority of the nervous system. As a result, preferred cadences in cycling are between 90 and 100rpm

Velo Wringer and Bram like this.
  5. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

Only had 2 rides with a cadence sensor so far. Averages were, 79 and 82 (don't have a clue what cadences to aim for), both peaked at 130-135 during a sprint.

6. norbs

norbs Member

From my experience, faster cadence is something you need to build up to. No use spinning at 100rpm if you hips are wobbling around.

Bram likes this.
  7. Rokas Charlapavičius

Rokas Charlapavičius New Member

I found that I get the most comfortable and get the highest average speeds when I aim for the cadence of approximately 75-90 for the flats and 90+ for the hills.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am sticking to 95. Don't worry about speed too much, that will come anyway.

9. ArkHiver

ArkHiver Member

I found my natural cadence is around 90-95 rpm. What I do like to practice, however, is intervals of 110-120 rpm on the trainer. I think it helps quite a bit with sprinting and pushing hard in the saddle. High cadence like 110+ is something your hips have to get used to first. :)

Gavin likes this.
  10. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

A little tip to help increase your cadence.
    While riding along flat road at X mph at a high cadence change down one gear and try to maintain that speed, When you can do that try down two gears,

Gavin and ArkHiver like this.