• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

MTB Beautiful Slovenia

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Matej Lakota, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Well-Known Member

I am not sure if you know, sport is Slovenian obsession and it is the reason, why weekends are crowded beacuse runners, cyclists and nordic walkers all around. In Slo, because hills and mountains covered with unpopulated forest areas, a lot of trails for mountain biking can be found, where often happen I don t see a single car for all day long. I am blessed to live in Bled area, where I can find so many destinations to ride, that I will probably not reach them all in my entire life (I am talking only about nearby goals).

Here you can find some cycling roads in my country:
    http://www.slovenia.info/?kolesarske_poti=0&lng=2&redirected=1

Sometimes I am filming when I am riding bicycle, so I can upload my videos with route explanations one by one here, so you will see how they look like, but I can also upload .gpx files from my SportsTracker if someone will visit my country and would like to ride on the same roads. Of course, you can ask me whatever you like and if I don t know the answer, I will try to find it somehow :)

So, here is one of my videos from 2014, I hope you will like it:

This is the way (from right point to left):
    [​IMG]

Wider area:
    [​IMG]

:)

Gavin, Michael, Fernando Zart and 3 others like this.
  2. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh now I have Slovenia on my places to visit as well, beautiful!

Günthar and Matej Lakota like this.
  3. Matej Lakota

Great Bram, you will not be dissapointed for sure and if you will have any kind of questions, just let me know, I will be glad to help.

Gavin and Andrew like this.
  4. Fernando Zart

Fernando Zart Member

Fantastic place! Taken directly from Dirt Rally, the game! ;):)
    So many cool places to visit on Earth in just one life... loved the "downhill section".

Matej Lakota likes this.
  5. Matej Lakota

Fernando Zart likes this.
  6. Matej Lakota

Up to Valvasor mountain lodge over Potoška planina (Potoki pasture (I hope that is right explanation)) this morning.
    Sadly I forgot camera home, but the road is very similar to the one in first post :).

Board at number 14 on the map (near Završnica lake), so everybody can find the way :).
    [​IMG]

Julian Alps with our highest peak Triglav (2864 metres).
    [​IMG]

Potoška planina and Stol mountain.
    [​IMG]
    On the other side of this little hill my friend Miroslav lives :D.

Boards show where you can go from Valvasor mountain lodge.
    [​IMG]

The map.
    [​IMG]

Gavin and Fernando Zart like this.
  7. Matej Lakota

Long time no see I could say, but in summertime I usualy ride to work over a little longer direction, it means I get enough cycling this way, so I run more instead.

[​IMG]

But this morning my son and me decided to go up to the nearest hill and becasue I don t want to bore you with recorded loooong way up, which is almost the same as it is on the video from over a month ago, this time I will post just some pictures and our way down from Jelovica trough Kupljenik village and then near Sava river almost to my home recorded from helmet camera :).

Pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the red cross on the map I started to record our ride.

[​IMG]

... and way down looks like this :)

Burke Wells likes this.
  8. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Wow, that looks idyllic. :)

Matej Lakota likes this.
  9. Matej Lakota

Thank you, mate. I like to do sport in this area which is a bit away from usual tourist ways around Bled lake, where can be really crowded :)

10. Burke Wells

Burke Wells Well-Known Member

Beautiful scenery and great pics. Thanks for sharing, Matej. Really enjoyed the video. Looked like such an enjoyable ride.

Matej Lakota likes this.
  11. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

What a beautiful country, it's now on my to visit on a bike list

Matej Lakota likes this.
  12. Matej Lakota

Thank you, man :)

If or when anybody of you will visit my country, just let me know where in Slo. you will spend holidays, so I can find you some nice cycling routes maybe from my experience or I can ask my friends for the same.

Here are some MTB routes from different parts of Slovenian regions (Gorenjska is where I live, Stajerska is North-East part, Juzna Primorska is near Italian border to the coast side, Koroska on North, Notranjska is right in the middle ... :) )
    http://www.sloveniaholidays.com/eng/cycling/mountain-cycling/