• “It never gets easier, you just go faster.” Greg LeMond
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Tech Are there any comfortable endurance saddles?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am getting more and more intrigued with saddles for bicycles. Over the last year I have tried standard ones that came with the bike. Wider ones. Smaller ones. Still after experimenting back and forth for a while I still haven't found a comfortable saddle that will relief me from a sore behind after a few hours of pedaling.

My 8 week break from riding on the bike hasn't really improved my comfort either :) Feels like I have to start all over again. I am starting to wonder if I should leave a spare tire at home and just take an extra spare ass with me on a longer ride.

2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Active Member

[​IMG]
    Looks shit, but works wonders.

Bram likes this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Is that just a bag to put around your own saddle?

4. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Active Member

Its a gel filled pad to put over your saddle. Comes in 3 versions, narrow, normal and wide, you'll want the narrow one as that's meant for race saddles, the others are meant for city and granny saddles. It's by far cheaper than a new saddle so I'd say it's worth a shot, only 10€.

5. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Member

6. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Well-Known Member

Saddles are definitely in the eye of the beholder when it comes to comfort.
    All my saddles have little padding and two have none at all. IMO shape and size are more important then any amount of padding.

Width depends on two things , sit bones distance and ride position ( upright wide and racey narrow) .

Flat top or lifted at the rear;* For example I can only get on with flat saddles but my friend can only ride rear lift shaped ( eg. Charge spoon )

Hole in the middle; I've not found one of those that works for me yet but plenty love them.

Padding is personal up to a point but excess padding means you carry your weight on the soft tissue surrounding your sit bones which is not good in the long term.

Time in the saddle, I hate the rules but Rule 5 comes into it a bit here.

*viewed from the side

My carbon VTX trike seat beats any saddle into a distant second

[​IMG]
    Luxury accommodation

Velo Wringer and dazzyb2k3 like this.
  7. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

@Jim Layee totally nailed it :)

Saddles are such a personal choice it's hard to reccomend anything specific. As a general rule, get the shape right and use the least amount of padding you think you can tolerate. I have a boney backside so definately appreciate a thin layer of foam.

I'm a fairly small guy so I used to assume i'd need a narrow saddle. I tried quite a few over the years. Most would be really comfortable for 2-3 hours then turn into a razor blade meaning the end of my rides were quite unpleasant. I got the chance to test a flatter one (fabric scoop) from my LBS and now have them fitted to all my bikes. I have it slightly tilted forward so my sitbones are perched on the wings. What's interesting is that it's not that comfortable per-se but it feels exactly the same after 8 hours as it does for the first few mins.

So i'd suggest trying something that you sit 'on' rather than somthing that feels surgically attatched. Most LBS will have test saddles from various brands. Some even have ass-ometers which will measure your sitbones to get you looking in the right direction.