• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Any Canyon owners on here?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by james davies, Aug 23, 2016.

1. james davies

james davies Member

The time has come for me to consider buying a new bike, I've been pondering this for some time and I've now settled on Canyon as a brand. Do we have any Canyon riders on here will to offer their opinions?

Weekdays I train usually 1-2 nights a week 15-30 miles depending on how much time I have to spare, and usually aim for a longer 50+ on a weekend depending on availability of my mates. I'm hoping to get back in to some sportive rides next year after a bad few years for me and injury's. This kinda leans me decision towards the Endurace bikes for the comfort on the longer rides, but when I was looking at the Canyons I was amazed at the lightness of the AL SLX9.0 which weighs in at 7.3-/+ which threw a curve ball at me. Thoughts and opinions please.

I've narrowed it down to the following,
    Endurace CF 9.0
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endurace/2016/endurace-cf-9-0.html
    Endurace CF 7.0 SL
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endurace/2016/endurace-cf-7-0-sl.html
    Ultimate AL SLX 9.0
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2016/ultimate-al-slx-9-0.html

Thanks in advance

2. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Hey @james davies,

I have briefly owned a Canyon (an Ultimate model) that I had to send back because the geometry didn't fit me. I should have taken the Endurace instead a model I am deeply in love with.

Not sure what your budget is but the 2017 models of the Endurace have been released recently with the all new CF SLX range https://www.canyon.com/en-nl/road/endurace/endurace-cf-slx-8-0.html

Model looks slick, great looking cockpit, disc brakes and the only thing that is holding me back from buying it is the very steep price.

@Rob owns the AL version of the bike which is already stunning for it's price. If you don't care about carbon at all the AL range is the best bang for buck bike for sure.

3. james davies

james davies Member

@Bram,
    The CF SLX are tasty machines, the cockpit looks awesome I love the flat section. Sadly a little out of my budget, the CF 9.0 is just about my limit budget wise as I need to get some new kit at the same time.

If I had the cash I'd go for the CF 9.0 SL as much as I like the look of the more expensive bikes I cant help think that I wouldnt benefit from the extra bike.
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endurace/2016/endurace-cf-9-0-sl.html

The Alu version do look nice and are light just let down by the finish of the welds. To be honest any new bike will be lighter than mine which sits at around 11Kg.

4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

5. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

Yep, for me the Ultimate was not option as I am 179cm, but I have 90cm legs, so even the endurace geometry is quite aggressive for me. In the end I settled for the AL 6.0 as I didnt want a carbon bike for my first bike, but of course the CF looks nicer as the welds are quite visible on the AL. A friend of mine owns the CF ultegra model with the dt swiss 21 wheels. He is very happy with the bike except for the wheels. He is quite heavy (85kg) and the wheels could not handle the weight. I dont know your weight, but in case you are heavier you might as well settle for a model with cheaper wheels.r

6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Omg, i wish i had that weight haha. Feather weight!

7. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

What am I then? Came back from vacation lost 2.5kg and down to 64.5kg :D

8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Ultra featherweight :)

I am twice your weight exactly haha! But also 2 meters tall

9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

10. Warren king

Warren king New Member

I am a proud owner of a Canyon Endurace CF 7.0 SL and after adding some Chinese 38mm carbon clinchers am in love with my bike, it's fast, stiff and climbs really well, for me, now this bike is perfect.

Also, Canyon as a company were an absolute pleasure to deal with, real professionals who care about their customers

Bram likes this.
  11. james davies

james davies Member

Well that's embarrassing. My emails junked the updates for this post.

Thanks for all your replies. Getting close to making my final decision. There's been some lovely bikes in the lbs which I've been tempted with and I've test ridden a couple of different brands which is making the decision even harder.

12. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am going to the Bikemotion fair in Utrecht, NL this weekend and I am going to check out the Canyon stand as well. Anything you need to know from them @james davies ?

james davies likes this.
  13. james davies

james davies Member

Nice @Bram. No thanks, I've made a purchase last night watch this space. It wasn't as originally planned (sorry Canyon ;) ) but the new bike feels right and couldn't be beaten on price. Once I've collected it I'll post a picture in the road bike thread. Dont think I'll have much chance to ride it this year now as it gets dark before I get back from work and the weathers being unkind now.

The boardman has now been demoted to a turbo and winter bike(if the weather permits). I might get round to changing the saddle on it too.

Bram likes this.