• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Almost time to break out the cool weather gear...

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by arthur666, Sep 29, 2016.

1. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Where I live, the Summer can be brutally hot and humid, but Autumn is perfect for riding. I know that in many places, this is the end of the good riding season. But for me, the peak is mid October. I have a couple of long sleeve wool jerseys, some knee warmers, a coffee thermos that fits in my 2nd bottle cage, and I'm ready to cruise the county peepin' at leafs [sic] and soaking up clear blue skies.
    What kind of gear do you need or like for the inbound weather change?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Autumn is probably my least favorite time of year to ride because it's so unpredictable here. My absolute favorite pieces of clothing have to be 3/4 length tights followed by arm warmers and glove liners. You can couple these three pieces with all manor of kit to keep you going in all but the coldest days. The arm warmers and glove liners can easily be removed mid ride if things warm up. I'll often take a packable waterproof which can also add an extra layer of protection/warmth too.

I find 3/4 tights to be much more versatile than full leggings. Much better freedom of movement and I can wear them from October right through to April/May without being too warm or cold. Can't stand leg warmers as i've never found a pair where I didn't spend 95% of the ride pulling them back up.

If it's raining hard my favorite hack is to wear a showercap under my helmet. The cheap clear ones you find in hotel rooms are perfect. :)

arthur666 likes this.
  3. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Ha! I like the shower cap idea. I have a thin wool watchcap that my wife knitted. It soaks thru eventually, but still keeps me warm since it's wool. Shower cap would fit better in my pocket though.

One thing I forgot: when it gets cold, I MUST have booties or shoe covers. And some good wool socks underneath. My toes freeze and go numb way too soon these days.

4. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

lol, yeah. I have love/hate relationship with shoe covers. More recently i've been using oversocks which i really like. I've recently taken to making my own by cutting a hole in the bottom of old socks. It's a good minimalist low cost solution for keeping the tootsies warm and the crud off your shoes without too much bulk.

I do get plenty of funny looks using the home made versions - especially since the socks i choose to convert are ones i'd never wear in public - usually because they're too gourdy, covered in love hearts, flowers or cartoon characters.

Burke Wells and arthur666 like this.