• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Aero disc wheels with 32 spokes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, May 2, 2017.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

For the current or next year I am looking for a set of black aero wheels that can carry my weight. (120kg/264lbs)

Did some research online and out of the box most wheels come with 24 spokes max. I know that handmade wheels can go higher but I am unsure what to look for.

Need solid wide wheels and don't care too much about the weight. Do love the look of those deep aero wheels though <3

DT SWISS ERC 1100 DICUT DISC.jpg

Any ideas?

2. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

In your shoes I'd be talking to a decent wheel builder and get something built to suit

Flaviu, Bram and arthur666 like this.
  3. James

James Active Member

You have to ask yourself why you need such wheels. Just bling factor or will you be doing some racing? For mass start racing, if you are in a pack they will do little. Only when out front or for time trials will you get a true benefit, and even then it's not that significant. A standard rim may give you 200-250 grams of drag at 30 mph (48.3 kph). Even if you magically got down to zero grams of drag, that's 0.250*30*.447=3.35 W gained. And that's at 30 mph! Granted you to get a nice benefit with crosswinds (think the sails on a boat). But what if I told you there are 2 places where you can carve out even greater time savings, either with drag reduction or rolling resistance improvements? And what if I told you those two could be had for less than a quarter of what a single wheel would run?

If you really want aero wheels and are concerned about your weight (though I know some fairly big guys (90-100 kg) sporting 24 spoke rims), there's always the HED trispoke. Not as good at higher yaw angles, but nothing will beat its structural integrity.

FYI, for semi-aero, I've built up a few Powertap hubs around Velocity Deep V, and they've lasted for years (I'm 72 kg or so). Also built up a Velocity B43 with a PT hub. They don't sell that one anymore and I swear that thing weight 2 kg. It's an anchor.

Flaviu and Bram like this.
  4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I absolutely don't need them at all :) They just look amazingly beautiful :) (does that count haha?)

Flaviu likes this.