• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road 2018 giro d’Italia

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Orione532, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Orione532

Orione532 Well-Known Member

just saw the presentation.
    In my opinion it would be a very hard race. I appreciate the idea of several south Italy stages but I don't like the starting point in Israel.

Nothing against the country but it has no sense to me to start a race in a place so not connected to Italy.

Your thoughts?

2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

They started the Giro here in Denmark not so long ago. Talk about not being connected at all!

3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Can only agree. Although it was pretty impressive to see the Tour start almost in front of my house back in 2015.

4. Orione532

Orione532 Well-Known Member

I probably have not expressed my idea clearly.
    As "close" I meant not only geographical closeness but also cultural.
    I can see a common ground in several Countries in which Giro started. For example Nederland (Italy France Germany and “Benelux” were founders of UE), Ireland was also a tribute to Sean Kelly 1987 super year. With Austria we share a border but also a lot of "eastern" culture. In the northern states we have strong economical connections (and a lot of envy for democracy believe me).
    That's what I meant when I talked about connection.

5. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

Again, we have none. The closest we've ever had is Bjarne Riis and Rolf Sorensen, but they were pumped full of EPO, so we're not exactly proud of them...

6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Don't forget Rasmussen :)

On topic, aren't external grand tour starts just economical decisions just like in other sports. I remember the Italian Football Supercup being player in The United States for a few times.